Standard window air conditioning units have been around for many years and are a common way to cool a room. But did you know that there are other alternatives to cooling your house? Ductless mini-splits are becoming an increasingly popular choice for cooling and heating room in your home. There are several reasons why ductless mini-splits are better than window unit ACs, which we will discuss below.
What is a Ductless Mini-Split System, and How Does it Work?
A ductless mini-split system is a small, wall-mounted unit that cools or heats a single room. The unit has two main components: an indoor air-handling unit and an outdoor unit. The indoor air handlers can be mounted on the wall inside the room and blow air into the space without duct work. The outdoor unit, which contains the refrigerant tubing, suction tubing, and condensate drain, sits outside the home and takes in air from the environment to cool the indoor unit. You can install multiple indoor units to heat, cool, and customize the comfort level in numerous rooms with one system.
Ductless mini-splits offer several benefits over window unit ACs:
- Mini-splits are more efficient than window units, using less energy to cool or heat a room.
- They are quieter than window units, so you don’t have to listen to loud machinery while trying to relax or sleep.
- They provide more evenly distributed cooling or heating than window units, which means the room is more comfortable to be in.
- They are more versatile than window units and can cool or heat a variety of spaces, including bedrooms, living rooms, home offices, and sunrooms.
- Mini-splits provide better indoor air quality.
How Do Ductless Mini-Split Systems Differ From a Window Unit Air Conditioner?
Window unit ACs require a hole to be cut in the window to sit in the window. Then, ductwork must be run from the unit to the outside of the home. Ductless mini-split systems do not require any duct work because they mount on the wall inside the room. This means that you can install a ductless mini-split system without having to do any significant construction or damage to your home.
Which One is Right for Me?
Window unit ACs are an excellent choice for people who need to cool one or two rooms in their homes. Suppose you have multiple rooms that you want to cool with a single system. In that case, ductless mini-split systems are a better option because they are more efficient and provide more evenly distributed cooling and individualized cooling for each room in your house.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Each Type of System?
Here are some pros and cons of a window unit AC system:
- Pros: Inexpensive, easy to install, can cool one or two rooms.
- Cons: They take up window space, the noise level is high, and not as energy efficient as ductless mini-splits.
Here are some pros and cons of ductless mini-split systems:
- Pros: More efficient than window units, quiet operation, versatile, and can heat and cool various spaces with one outdoor unit.
- Cons: More expensive than window units.
How Much Will it Cost to Install a Ductless Mini-Split System in My Home Compared to a Window Unit AC?
The cost of ductless mini-split systems varies depending on the size of the unit, but they are generally more expensive to install than window units. The average cost to install a ductless mini-split system is between $1,500-2,000, while the average price to install a window unit is a few hundred dollars.
Which Is More Energy-Efficient: Ductless Mini-Splits or Window Unit Air Conditioners?
A window unit air conditioner is less efficient than ductless mini-split systems. A ductless mini-split system will provide more cooling for your home while using less energy; even a large home if it has the appropriate BTU rating. What is a BTU rating? It is a British Thermal Unit, and it is a way to measure the cooling power of an air conditioner.
Contact Energy Monster for Your New Heating and Cooling System
So which should you choose? If you’ve decided a new cooling system is in your budget and on your mind, contact the professionals at Energy Monster. Our team of professionals can get your new Mitsubishi Ductless Mini-Split system installed seamlessly. Keep your home cool all season long. Let us show you how to be efficient and comfortable.